Witts Springs, Arkansas, is a small community located on AR Highway 377. It is the most convenient entry point to the Richland Wilderness Area of the Ozark National Forest.
There is a spring east of town with a stone having the name "Witts” carved in it. It is suspected that an early pioneer stopped at the spring and carved his name on the rock. For later travelers it was both a guide and a place to camp where there was fresh water. When the town was established in 1817, it was given the name Witts Springs after the name on the rock by the spring.
The first grist mill and flour mill were built around 1888 about 1 ½ miles east of the present town. In 1892 a combination grist and flour mill and crusher from Blanco on Calf Creek was moved to Witts Springs. A sawmill and shingle mill were added as well.
The first church was in an old mill house remodeled and dedicated in May, 1895. There was a school before the Civil War, but who taught is unknown.
The community had a hard time thriving due to lack of economical ways to get produce to the market. But the roads were finally improved. Now much of its commercial activity revolves around forestry, farming, and its access to the national forest.
Today there is still one old store building standing. There is one store, Cindy’s Country Store, where you can purchase gas, snacks, drinks, sandwiches or a meal. The menu is listed on the chalk board for the week. The current post office is brick and was built in 1986 by Pete and Janet Drewry as reported in Searcy County History Book.
The present church was built by the Masonic Lodge with the Lodge meeting upstairs and Witts Springs Church meeting in the downstairs. There is an outside stairway on the west side of the building. The lodge sold the upper floor to the church. It is now used for Sunday school rooms.
There is a park with a pavilion and wooden picnic tables. There is a small play ground with swings and jungle gym.
The school consolidated with Marshall in 2003. The old high school is under renovation for use by Ozark Estate Liquidators. The old lunchroom is now the Community Voices Dollar Store. Items are donated and then sold for a dollar each. The gym building is Witts Springs Community Center for playing cards, games, movies, basketball, plays, tournaments, rugby, bridge, backgammon or whatever. It is also used for family reunions and other get-togethers.
There continues to be a spirit of community. Several groups meet monthly:Book Club, EH (Economic Homemakers) Club; Garden Club: Red Hatters. All visitors are made to feel welcome to the area. There are frequent get-togethers at the church and gym building.