HomeBusinessesRelocation ServicesThings to See and DoCemeteriesEvents

Richland Creek
Searcy County, AR

201 Peaceful Way CH
Marshall, AR
(on Hwy 377)

Hall Cemetery
Buffalo National River
6341 Richland Rd
St Joe, AR

6341 Richland Rd
St Joe, AR
(Private off Richland Road)

1909 River Rd
St Joe, AR

205 Shade Tree Ln
Marshall, AR
(off Hwy 377)

Pope Co AR
(off Hwy 27)

Pleasant Grove
2972 Lick Fork Rd
Marshall, AR
(near Marsena)

Off Hwy 16 in Pope County

Buffalo National River

Ben Hur, AR
Newton County off Hwy 16

Solo, AR

310 River Rd
St Joe, AR

2850 Wasson Rd
St Joe, AR
(ATV access only)

506 Set Tha Pace Rd
St Joe, AR

Witts Springs
10751 Hwy 311
Marshall, AR
(on Hwy 377 at Hwy 16)

Mrs. Sara Seaton’s "Remembrance of Witts Springs Cemetery History" from Orpha Turney’s scrapbook.

(The following following article was written by Mrs. Sara Seaton and last published in the Marshall Mountain Wave some 30 years ago on the history of the Witts Springs Cemetery. Mrs. Seaton died in 1967 and is buried in that cemetery. Several people have requested that this article be reprinted, and a copy of it was furnished by Mrs. Lois Chadwick, our correspondent at Witts Springs.) This was from the Mountain Wave May 30, 1982.

    The following story was written by Mrs. Sara Seaton and will be of much interest to the people of the county, especially to those of Witts Springs community and former residents of that section of Searcy Co.
​    Several people who visited the Witts Springs cemetery Memorial Day and those who visited here since that day, and found so many early dates on the monuments, especially these two – “Nancy Wright, Born March 15, 1790, Died May 24, 1880,” and “Elizabeth, Wife of Thomas Laymon, Born August 12, 1795, Died May 20, 1885” – have asked me to write a short history of the first person buried in the cemetery.
​    Years before the Civil War a train of immigrants crossed the mountain in their horse and ox carts and wagons, and the train camped near the site of the present cemetery. During their stay an infant took sick and died and the family buried it near their camp and constructed a rock wall around the grave, and then continued on their journey. Today, the grave remains as they left it.
​    It is said that the mother stated she hated to leave the body there because it looked so lonesome. And the father replied ”It will soon have company, for others will follow this same trail.”
​    This was the first grave and the beginning of the Witts Springs cemetery. At the beginning of the Civil War, only a few graves dotted the grounds, but during the war several more mounds marked the last resting place of loved ones from the families then living in the Witts Springs vicinity. The majority of them were walled with rock..
​    For years this was the only cemetery of this section and was the burying place for people of Bear Creek, Calf Creek, Falling Water, the Bayou and other surrounding communities. At this time the grounds were all forest, and when there was a grave to be dug, they would clear a space of timber, dig the grave and then wall it with rock or rails.
​    George Smith and Julius Williams made the tombstones from native rock to mark the graves and usually kept a supply of such stone on hand. When they were needed, the name would be chisled on the stone and then erected at the grave. I do not remember which of these men died first, but at the time of his death, they had only one stone on hand. The remaining partner fixed the last stone for the deceased partner and erected it at his grave. They were nice tombstones, and there are many of them in the cemetery at this time.
​    The first decoration was held at the cemetery May 30, 1897, and on that day contributions were made to buy wire and fence the grounds. Since that date I think there has been only one Memorial Day which we did not observe with a decoration and dinner on the ground.
​    Following the Civil War many of the veterans returned to this community, but they have passed on to their reward. The last one to go was Uncle Ben Snow, who died February 22, 1933.
​    As long as these veterans lived here, they would meet at the school house at 10 a.m. Memorial Day, mount the flag to its staff, with Uncle Pate Drewry carrying the flag with the soldiers marching behind him, followed by the decorators, the procession would proceed to the cemetery. Uncle Pate carried the flag as long as he lived, and then the honor was passed on to Uncle Ben Snow. But since May 30, 1932, we have had no flag.
    After the graves were decorated, dinner would be spread in the shade of the trees, and there would be speaking following lunch.
​    The first decorations were not attended by so many people as in recent years, for their only mode of travel was horseback, wagons or buggies. But as time rolled by, the annual attendance kept increasing. Today the cemetery has been enlarged, new fence put up, and the grounds been cleaned off. Many tombstones have been erected by the graves, flowers planted, and in fact the people of the community have taken great pride in the appearance of the cemetery and are doing all they can to keep the grounds beautiful, where so many of our loved ones are awaiting the coming of the Lord.
​    During the last few years we have placed tables and spread our dinner under the shade trees on the school campus. After dinner we go into the building and sing until time to go home. This last Memorial Day, however, we had the singing in our new church house.
​    Last Memorial Day we had a larger attendance and more flowers than than ever before. People were here from the following states, and no doubt others which we failed to recognize: Arizona, Oklahoma, Iowa, Texas, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Washington, Mississippi, California, and Wisconsin. Oklahoma was represented by a greater number than the other states.
​    Our decoration day on May 30 each year has become not only a day on which we pay our respect and decorate the graves of our departed loved ones, but also to meet and renew acquaintances with people whom we have not seen for many years, and whom, probably, we will never see again.